[llvm-dev] LLVM Incubator + new projects draft

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jul 5 13:18:03 PDT 2020

On Jul 5, 2020, at 8:12 AM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:
>>> Yes, this is a good idea.  The problem here is “how do we decide who qualifies as a sponsor?”.  I don’t know a good way to say that - someone with N years of LLVM experience, M patches, …?  How does this get explained?
>> Do we really need that? It feels to me like this is much more
>> something that could be handled as part of the approval process. If
>> nobody from "the community" (whatever that means) is in favor of the
>> incubation, then it's not going to happen. So kind of by definition
>> you need at least one person speaking in favor :)
>

> Do we want to specifically say some member of the community (i.e., someone with commit access?) not associated with the proposed incubator project? Are we looking for some kind of community consensus, lack of broad concern, etc.?

In practice, commit access is pretty easy to get.  I really think we can cross this bridge when we come to it.  The two proposed projects so far already include experienced LLVM project contributors.  If someone proposes a new project that is out of the blue, this concern can be addressed through qualitative concerns brought up in the discussion - it doesn’t have to be codified in the developer policy in my opinion.

-Chris