[llvm-dev] How to get information about data dependencies?

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 1 22:07:52 PDT 2020

LLVM has multiple dependence analyses, each with its up- and downsides:

 * llvm::DependenceAnalysis
 * llvm::LoopAccessAnalysis
 * llvm::MemorySSA
 * polly::DependenceInfo

Just running the analysis passes does not change anything, the
analysis has to be used by a transformation pass. Since there is no
common interface for dependence analysis, each transformation pass
expects a specific analysis and runs it itself if necessary. For
instance LoopVectorize uses LoopAccessAnalysis.

None of these are well documented(*), I suggest to look at the
transformation pass sources that use them.

Michael

(*) For MemorySSA, there is https://www.llvm.org/docs/MemorySSA.html