[llvm-dev] [RFC] Python 2 / Python 3 status

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 29 13:26:08 PST 2020

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 1:12 PM Tobias Hieta via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020, 21:30 Fangrui Song via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> I also recall Reid said `#!/usr/bin/env python` might make Windows
>> developers happier but I forget the details.
>>

> Python on windows has a wrapper that parses this line and selects which
> python to use bases on that.

I believe many developers develop from the "git bash" msys shell. In this
context, bash will interpret the shebang line. If the shebang line is
`#!/usr/bin/env python3` and there is no python3.exe on PATH, that will be
an error.

For the Linux distros that are removing Python 2, will "python" find Python
3 in the future, or will we have to say "python3" explicitly?