[llvm-dev] Confused about optimization pass order

Karl Rehm via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 28 14:49:23 PST 2020

Interesting. I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to separate
passes into further separate groups, depending on what they do. For example:
- Code reduction/elimination (ex. DCE, quite a few of the loop passes)
- Instruction substitution (ex. vectorization passes/instcombine)

The problem I see with the current approach is that I think the code
reduction passes get the short end of the stick; they can only run as many
times as they're added to the PassManager, meaning for larger projects
something could be missed.

What I'd propose (take this with a grain of salt obviously) is some sort of
implementation where the code reduction passes are all continually run
until they are done. After that, do the same thing but with the
substitution passes. I don't know if there are any specific passes that
just make code prettier for substitution, but they would (hypothetically)
be run once in between. This is probably not the best way to go about this,
but I think it could help.

Thanks,
Karl