[llvm-dev] DWARF debug line error handling changes

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 28 11:37:47 PST 2020

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 1:59 AM James Henderson <
jh7370.2008 at my.bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 at 23:22, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the work & context, James!
>>

> Thanks for the reviews!
>

>> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 5:51 AM James Henderson <
>> jh7370.2008 at my.bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Since December, I've made several changes to the DWARF debug line parser
>>> to improve its error handling. Some examples include removing redundant
>>> error checks[1] and making address size mismatches non-fatal to parsing[2],
>>> with several more about to land or being planned.
>>>
>>> David Blaikie recommended I post something to give a bit more context to
>>> these changes. I am a member of Sony's Linker and Binutils team, and as
>>> part of the linking process, we make updates to the debug line section in
>>> order to handle GC-section processing and similar modifications. In order
>>> for these operations to be safe, we need the input line program to be in a
>>> good state. As a result, in addition to the existing LLVM error checks, we
>>> have added several additional downstream checks. These were added
>>> downstream at the time for speed, but we've always had the intention of
>>> bringing these to the wider community. We now have the time to do this.
>>>
>>> There are broadly-speaking two kinds of changes we are making:
>>>
>>> 1) Adding additional new checks to make sure the table is valid. Where
>>> possible, these are made as late as reasonable. That way, we don't emit
>>> errors or warnings until it is necessary, and potentially therefore not at
>>> all in some cases.
>>>
>>> 2) Making existing error checks less fatal, i.e. changing the code to
>>> allow the parser to continue even though something doesn't look right in
>>> the code. This allows consumers to gather more information, whether for
>>> displaying or otherwise. In several cases, the change is to assume that the
>>> length recorded in a field is correct, even if it doesn't match what either
>>> the standard says should be the length.
>>>

>> If the standard conflicts with the length when we read the length
>> (without reading further) - yeah, I think we should fail/warn/something
>> there. (as I think we do - if you have a length that's not long enough for
>> the header we're expecting to read, for instance, etc) & if that means this
>> contribution can't be parsed (eg: header's truncated) we treat it that way
>> (this contribution is broken) & can still go on to the next contribution
>> and read that.
>>

> I think the code now uses the error callbacks for all potential length
> conflicts (or will do after I land some more warnings - not checked the
> current state). By default, this results in warnings, but clients can do
> extra stuff like ignoring the table and then continuing from the next. With
> my latest changes, the parser continues reading the header until the actual
> end for the file format, even if that goes beyond the claimed header end,
> reporting a warning if it does so,

Oh... which change caused that to happen? Because I don't think that should
happen. I'd really much prefer that once the length is read and it's
checked to be in-bounds of the underlying section, that only those bytes
within that specified length are read. I was/am actually looking at tidying
up the repeated complications of parsing the DWARF32/DWARF64 headers - and
one idea I had was to have the DWARFDataExtractor return a new
DWARFDataExtractor that was specifically bounded to the parsed length for
this reason.

> [...]
> until the unit length is reached. This provides us with maximum possible
> information (useful for dumpers), but still with the ability to stop
> (useful for things where correctness is more important).
>

>>> This won't always be the right thing to do (it might be that just the
>>> length field is correct), but providing more information, together with a
>>> warning that should indicate that something may not be quite right, is
>>> surely more useful than refusing to give the extra information. I picked
>>> the recorded length because other areas of the code already assume it to be
>>> correct, and use it to iterate onto other parts of the line table section.
>>>

>> Hmm, I thought I saw somewhere (in the many active reviews at the moment,
>> some from Sony, some from some other folks - haven't got the full picture
>> myself) I thought someone, maybe Paul I thought, said something about
>> stopping/not continuing when we found an error in a previous contribution -
>> which doesn't sound right (& is different from what you've just said here).
>> Ah well, maybe I'm hallucinating.
>>

> Paul actually said in D71255 that we try to continue from the next
> contribution, although I did previously make an incorrect statement about
> length errors preventing this from happening. That being said, it is
> entirely up to the client whether to continue or not to the next
> contribution if they see something bad.
>

>> It might be interesting to have some harder errors if contributions ever
>> overlap (if two CUs point to two different parts of debug_line, for
>> instance, and one of those pointers+parsed length overlaps with the other
>> pointer). That's a bad place to be and may mean we should give up on
>> parsing any of debug_line, or at least any unit that has such an overlap -
>> but harder to detect.
>>

> This sounds like it's a little outside the scope of the low-level debug
> line parser, and more something that belongs in DWARFContext or the
> verifier. That being said, some sort of warning would make sense (it would
> take some pretty crafty line table building to get two valid line tables
> that overlap).
>

>> The alternative, I suppose is to go the other way (& that's something
>> that might be good/important to do at some point) & not parse any
>> contributions that aren't pointed to by a CU (well, debug_line in DWARFv5
>> is designed to be parsed standalone too - and maybe everything in DWARFv5
>> is designed to be parsed standalone, but we don't know whether a section
>> contains only v5 contributions (debug_line maybe should've changed name so
>> we'd know it only contained v5 contributions - like loclists and rnglists -
>> ah well)... )
>>

> I think in some contexts, maybe it is worth only parsing contributions
> pointed to by CUs, but again, this would be a higher-level decision.
> Indeed, Sony's linker modifications don't parse the .debug_info at all,
> only the .debug_line, so this wouldn't work for us.

*nod* figured that might be the case - good to know!

>> Just rambling at this point.
>>
>> - Dave
>>

>>> I hope this provides greater context for these changes!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> James
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/commit/418cd8216b41f4c08e0e1b22feda381d9b2345da