[llvm-dev] [RFC] Replacing inalloca with llvm.call.setup and preallocated

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 27 16:57:51 PST 2020

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 4:31 PM Eli Friedman <efriedma at quicinc.com> wrote:

> I assume by “drop support”, you mean reject it in the bitcode reader/IR
> parser?  We can’t reasonably support a complex feature like inalloca if
> nobody is testing it. If we can’t reasonably upgrade it, and we don’t think
> there are any users other than clang targeting 32-bit Windows, probably
> dropping support is best.

That's a good point. There are already enough lightly tested features in
LLVM. There's no reason to leave another one lying around like a trap for
the first unsuspecting user to try it.

More details comments on the proposal:

> “llvm.call.setup must have exactly one corresponding call site”: Normal IR
> rules would allow cloning the call site (in jump threading), or erasing the
> call site (if there’s a noreturn call in an argument).  What’s the benefit
> of enforcing this rule, as opposed to just saying all the call sites must
> have the same signature?

I think we could cope with unreachable code elimination deleting a paired
call site (zero or one), but code duplication creating a second call site
could be problematic. The call setup doesn't describe the prototype of the
main call site, so if there were multiple call sites, the backend would
have to pick one call site arbitrarily or compare the call sites when
setting up the call. If there are zero call sites, the backend can create
static allocas of the appropriate type to satisfy the allocations. Of
course, an IR pass (instcombine?) should do this transform first if it sees
it. Maybe we could have CGP take care of it, too.

> The proposal doesn’t address what happens if llvm.call.setup is called
> while there’s another llvm.call.setup still active.  Is it legal to call
> llvm.call.setup in a loop?  Or should nested llvm.call.setup calls have the
> parent callsetup token as an operand?

Nested setup is OK, but the verifier rule that there must be a paired call
site should make it impossible to do in a loop. I guess we should have some
rule to reject the following:
%cs1 = llvm.call.setup()
%cs2 = llvm.call.setup()
call void @cs1() [ "callsetup"(token %cs1) ]
call void @cs2() [ "callsetup"(token %cs2) ]

> Is there some way we can allow optimizations if we can’t modify the
> callee, but we can prove nothing captures the address of the preallocated
> region before the call?  I guess under the current proposal we could
> transform preallocated->byval, but that isn’t very exciting.

I suppose we could say that the combo of byval+preallocated just means
`byval`, and teach transforms that that's OK.

> How does this interact with other dynamic stack allocations?  Should we
> switch VLAs to use a similar mechanism?  (The problems with dynamic alloca
> in general aren’t as terrible, but it might still benefit: for example,
> it’s much easier to transform a dynamic allocation into a static
> allocation.)

VLAs could use something like this, but they are generally of unknown size
while call sites have a known fixed size. I think that makes them pretty
different.

> “If an exception is thrown and caught within the call setup region, the
> newly established SP must be saved into the EH record when a call is
> setup.”  What makes this case special vs. what we currently implement?  Is
> this currently broken?  Or is it related to supporting frame pointer
> elimination?

I think of it as a special case because you can't write this in standard
C++. Today, I think we leak stack memory in this case. There's no
correctness issue because we copy SP into its own virtual register at the
point of the alloca, and arguments are addressed relative to the vreg. What
I had in mind for the new system is that we make some kind of fixed stack
object that uses pre-computed SP offsets, assuming there are no dynamic
allocas in the function. This would be a problem for a program that does:

setup call 1
store call 1 arg 0
try {
  setup call 2
  throw exception
  call 2
} catch (...) {}
; call 2's frame is still on the stack
store call 1 arg 1 ; SP offset would be incorrect
call 1