[llvm-dev] MASM & RIP-relative addressing

Eric Astor via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 22 10:43:59 PST 2020

I'd been meaning to ask if anyone had any ideas for the LLVM changes. On
the other hand, while I was continuing to try to figure out the rules for
MASM's implicit RIP-relative addressing logic, I stumbled on (what seems to
be) the right thing to modify in LLVM to make this work.

For the record: the issue is that when referencing a memory address, if the
instruction can take a relative address and the operand has no base
register specified, x64 MASM assumes it should be RIP-relative. My previous
attempt to replicate this in LLVM essentially added X86::RIP as the BaseReg
for any X86Operand generated from an IntelExpr that didn't already have
one... but some operands are used in contexts (such as "jcc" instructions)
that don't accept operands with a BaseReg.

My new approach is to fall back to a "DefaultBaseReg" on the X86Operand
(set to X86::RIP for operands parsed from x64 MASM, and otherwise to
X86::NoRegister) whenever the operand is rendered via addMemOperands...
while leaving the BaseReg itself unmodified. This means that instructions
(like jcc) that take only AbsMem operands can match the operand without
interference, and it will be rendered correctly in the final output, while
instructions that take relative addresses will default to RIP-relative
addressing when possible.

Best,
- Eric