[llvm-dev] ORC JIT Weekly #1

Jacob Lifshay via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 21 15:21:58 PST 2020

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020, 13:16 Lang Hames <lhames at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Ok -- sounds like there's enough interest to keep going with these status
> updates. You can expect update #2 in a couple of days. :)

Yay!

One thing that will be useful (and was done to some extent with ORCv1) is
>> to expose ORCv2's API via C-compatible bindings ...
>

> That's a really good point. And timely: We need an ORCv2 C API before we
> can kill off ORCv1. We should use http://llvm.org/PR31103 to track this
> (hopefully we can finally close it). If you're interested in this work
> please CC yourself on that bug.

Added myself.

> There are two approaches we can take to C bindings for ORCv2. The first
> one I'll call "wrap LLJIT", and it's pretty much what it sounds like: We
> provide an API for initializing an LLJITBuilder, and accessing methods in
> the resulting LLJIT object. This would provide a similar level of
> functionality to the ExecutionEngine bindings, and also enable basic lazy
> compilation. The second approach would be to wrap the lower level APIs
> (ExecutionSession, MaterializationUnit, etc.) to allow clients to build
> their own JIT instances in C. These approaches aren't mutually exclusive,
> and the best way forward is probably to start with the first approach, then
> add elements from the second over time.
>
> Any volunteers to work on this? I need to finish the new initializer work
> before I can tackle this, so I might be a while yet.

Sorry, I'm currently working on the frontend for our shader compiler, I
won't get to the parts that need LLVM for at least a month or so. However,
once I'm there, I can help out some with creating the C bindings.

Jacob