[llvm-dev] [RFC] Upstream development of support for yet-to-be-ratified RISC-V extensions

Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 21 05:00:59 PST 2020

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 at 01:14, Chris Lattner <clattner at nondot.org> wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2020, at 10:01 AM, Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > I believe code should be committed to LLVM when it is of sufficient
> > quality, when it can be shown to benefit the LLVM user or developer
> > communities, and when there is someone willing to support it. All of these can
> > be true even for unratified standard RISC-V extensions, with a caveat on
> > "support”.
>
> +1
>
> > # Proposal
> >
> > Although we want to discourage downstream reliance on unratified extensions,
> > there doesn't seem to be a strong motivation for requiring a custom LLVM build
> > to force this. However, such unratified extensions shouldn't be accessible via
> > normal RISC-V ISA naming strings (e.g. "rv32imafdc"), and instead flags of the
> > form `-riscv-experimental-vector-ext` in LLVM and `-mexperimental-vector-ext`
> > in Clang should be used (i.e. option 3)). We discussed this in our weekly call
> > however, and there were voices advocating either option 2 or 3. Input welcome.
> >
> > If going down the option 3 route, the flags could be made more discouraging
> > through requiring an additional `-riscv-enable-experimental-extension` flag or
> > making the flag itself longer and scarier. Thoughts?
>
> I think you’ve got the right tradeoff here.  If I’m understanding your plan, it is:
>
>  - don’t add extensions to the isa naming string until they are finalized.
>
>  - in-progress extensions can land in mainline LLVM, and are protected under a -experimental-foo style of flag.  There is no support implied
> or compatibility in the future for such flags, they can be changed or removed at any time, they are just for staging.
>
>  - it doesn’t seem like there is any need to #ifdef out these flags.  A scary enough flag name should be fine.  The goal isn’t to prevent malice, it is to prevent accidental reliance.
>
> This all makes sense to me.

That's correct, thanks for the feedback.

I do like the idea from James of having the compiler always spit out a
note when enabling the experimental extension, warning of its
experimental nature. If we had such a warning and additionally
required a `-riscv-enable-experimental-extensions` or similar, then I
think there could be merit in including in the ISA string as Simon
suggests, especially as we're likely to start putting that string in
ELF output etc.

So based on feedback so far, I'd like to narrow the field to:

Option 1)
* Unratified extensions are not available through the ISA naming
string and are enabled via `-riscv-experimental-foo` or similar
* A warning is always emitted when enabling experimental extensions
* Support is always compiled in, and the flags aren't ifdeffed out

Option 2)
* Unratified extensions can be enabled by passing a flag like
-riscv-enable-experimental-extensions and additionally putting the
extension name and version number in the ISA naming string (version
number is always required, and we will only accept the 'current'
version number).
* A warning is always emitted when enabling experimental extensions
* Support is always compiled in, and the flags aren't ifdeffed out

Best,

Alex