[llvm-dev] Proposing a llvm-patch helper script in-tree to create/apply patches without arc

Neil Henning via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 21 02:54:08 PST 2020

I'd rather we decided on whether to accept GitHub PRs or not first (in the
other thread). I would bet that everyone who has troubles with arc / is not
allowed to use arc would happily use GitHub PRs instead.

Worst case scenario if the community decides that we don't want to accept
GitHub PRs then this sort of script would be a useful time sink.

Cheers,
-Neil.

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 9:19 AM James Henderson via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I like the concept, and a quick glance at the script is essentially what
> I'd expect, though I haven't looked at it in depth. I'm quite okay with
> jumping through the current hoops needed to do those three items, but they
> are also my most common operations, so a script would definitely simplify
> things for me. Unfortunately, I don't currently have the time to invest in
> it myself.
>
> On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 at 02:16, Florian Hahn via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> One takeaway for me from the recent Phabricator vs Github PR discussions
>> was that arc (arcanist) can be a pain to set up and may pose a hurdle for
>> some contributors.
>>
>> I think those points could be addressed relatively easily by adding a
>> llvm-patch script (or an even better name) that allows users to create and
>> apply patches from reviews.llvm.org using Phabricators API. In my
>> experience, the three most common uses cases are:
>>
>> 1. Create a new review from the current HEAD commit in the working
>> directory and let me optionally add subscribers/reviewers
>> 2. Update the diff for an existing review with the current HEAD commit in
>> the working directory
>> 3. Download the latest diff for a revision and apply it to the working
>> directory, using the commit message from Phabricator.
>>
>> Those should be fairly easy to implement and as a proof-of-concept I went
>> ahead and put up a patch implementing 3. from the list above:
>> https://reviews.llvm.org/D73075 .
>>
>>  Please note that the script is probably a bit rough around the edges and
>> I probably won’t have time to implement 1. and 2. in the near future on my
>> own, but maybe someone would be interested in helping out.
>>
>> I think that could improve the experience for new contributors
>> substantially:
>>  * Create a new patch: `llvm-patch upload`
>>  * Apply a patch from a review: `llvm-patch apply D12345`.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Florian

Neil Henning