[llvm-dev] [PITCH] Improvements to LLVM Decision Making

Christian Kühnel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 16 00:47:06 PST 2020

Hi Chris,

*tl;dr* Sounds good, when can we start?

Thank you for picking up on this topic, I believe this is really important!
The way we reach decisions - or don't - has a major impact on the culture
of our  project. And the culture has a major impact on the happiness and
health of the community. As a newcomer to LLVM I find it hard to understand
how I can get an agreement on a particular topic affecting many people
(pre-merge testing in my case).

For me it's important to have a way of getting a timely decision on a
topic. How we do that in detail is less important to me. I'm also a big fan
of continuous improvement and the Swift approach sounds reasonable. So
let's start with that and then iterate/adapt if we see the need to do so.

Best,
Christian

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 7:58 AM Chris Lattner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Numerous people have been bringing up challenges with consensus driven
> decision making in the LLVM community.  After considering this and seeing
> the frustrations it is causing many people, I think we should make a formal
> process change to help improve decision making going forward.
>
> Here is the outline of the draft proposal
> <https://gist.github.com/lattner/e3679998a7609c99b1243f09d30f0132>.
> Caveats: this is itself just a draft proposal to inspire discussion not a
> mandate - I welcome feedback, thoughts and concerns, ideas of how to make
> this better, or better ideas/approaches overall on how we can level up the
> community.
>
> Please let me know what you think, thanks!
>
> -Chris

Best,
Christian