[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Phabricator -> GitHub PRs?

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 15 09:50:50 PST 2020

"Doerfert, Johannes via llvm-dev" <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

>> Nowadays we have tools to manage the stacks for us [1][2], and that as a
>> plus don't require arc/php to be installed on your system.
>>
>> I don't do much LLVM / clang stuff, but submitting stuff with [1] just works
>> (with `moz-phab HEAD~N --no-bug`), and it should submit your last N commits
>> separately automatically, without having to submit them one-by one and
>> linking them via the web interface / annotate stuff in the commit message.
>>
>> Sorry if this is just noise, though maybe it helps.
>
> This looks pretty cool, thanks! I'll for sure give it a try!

Agreed, this is interesting as is git-phab.

I would like to take a step back and talk about existing use-cases in
Phab.  People have talked a lot about linking revisions, patch series,
parent/child relationships and so on and I have to confess I am
struggling to understand the use-cases for these things.  Most of what I
do upstream is simple enough to accomplish with individual patch
submissions and reviews.  In some cases I have posted "mega-patches" for
context purposes but I'll admit that isn't a very good workflow as
things quickly get out of date.

I would like to understand better how people use Phab's advanced
features and why.  For example, what drives the need for patch series
and dependence relationships?  Some walk-through examples would be very
helpful.

                         -David