[llvm-dev] [PITCH] Improvements to LLVM Decision Making

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 15 03:58:19 PST 2020

To be clear, my comment was purely intended to refer to non-technical
decisions (i.e. not things like code reviews etc that stall because there's
disagreement about what to do, but rather things like switching to the
monorepo/github PRs etc). Indeed, my understanding from Chris's pitch is
that his proposal isn't intended to address that either:

" One note: While there are challenges with patch review and code owners,
this proposal focuses on non-technical decisions that do not have a clear
"code owner" escalation path today. This can include things like the
introduction of new subprojects, introduction of a new social policies,
change to core infrastructure like bug review tools or patch review
processes, changes to the LLVM Developer Policy, etc."

These decisions are significantly more impacting than the more technical
ones as they usually impact pretty much every single developer. They are
also often irreversible after a certain point, or at least would cause
serious issues if we tried to reverse. Finally, once a decision has been
made and started to be implemented, I always feel like there's a greater
level required for objections, so people who weren't able to be involved
are less likely to voice their opinions after the fact in a way that will
actually generate any further discussion. Don't get me wrong, I agree that
we can't keep a review open forever, since you can't accommodate everyone
(e.g. months-long parental leave/long-term sicknesses/sabbaticals etc), but
surely 1-2 weeks for such decisions isn't enough.