[llvm-dev] FC : A MLIR+LLVM based Fortran front end

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 13 09:02:23 PST 2020

Neat, another fortran compiler option.

Does anyone have a list/comparison of all the LLVM fortran compilers? I'm
not really tracking this, since Fortran isn't really my area of expertise,
but I've seen the following. Perhaps there are even more?

"Flang". The original of the name, I think? Abandoned.
https://github.com/llvm-flang/flang
"Fort" -- fork of the above flang, renamed. Seems active.
https://github.com/llvm-fortran/fort/

"Flag". Different from the other "flang". Active, but deprecated in favor
of f18.
https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang
"f18". Rewrite-from-scratch (?) of adjacent "flang". Active, but not
fully-functional yet (I think?).
https://github.com/flang-compiler/f18

"FC". Newly-developed, independent of the other compilers. Active. (But
this source-code dates from the previous announcement, not yet updated with
latest developments):
https://github.com/compiler-tree-technologies/fc

I don't know how any of these compare with each other, nor why we have so
many. I have no opinion on which or whether any of these should be
"blessed", nor do I really want to become educated enough on this topic to
gain such an opinion personally.

But, given that there appear to be at least 3 fortran compilers under
active development by different people, I would love to be reassured that
such a comparison has been done, and that we are selecting one of them for
good reasons. It'd be great if someone (or multiple someones) could post a
summary/comparison of what these things all are, and why one is the right
path forward vs another.