[llvm-dev] [RFC][binutils] Machine-readable output from Binutils - possible GSOC project?
James Henderson via llvm-dev
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 10 03:55:52 PST 2020
I was giving some thought as to possible project ideas I could propose for
this year’s Google Summer of Code, with regards to the LLVM Binutils. One
idea that I had was something discussed at last year’s Euro LLVM developer
meeting, namely machine-readable output from the LLVM Binutils. Before I
actually start advertising this as an open project, I wanted to ask a few
1. Are people still interested in this? If so, what is the typical use
case you’d use the result of this project for? Why would this be better
than the existing llvm-readobj output (if applicable)?
2. Which tool(s) and feature(s) would you most want this for? I
personally think this should just be another output style for llvm-readobj.
Does anybody have any different opinion there?
3. Is there any additional tooling in relation to this project that you
think would be important to be a part of this project, e.g. a lit function
to query the output?
4. How might this interact with obj2yaml? Could the new output
ultimately be used to replace it?
5. Is there a priority for a specific format (e.g. ELF, DWARF, COFF)?
6. Would anybody be interested in co-mentoring such a project?
Thanks in advance for the comments!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the llvm-dev