[llvm-dev] Flang landing in the monorepo - next Monday!

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 9 02:02:23 PST 2020

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 at 08:13, Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > Why is it targeting pre-llvm10 branching? Are we expecting to ship anything in LLVM 10? If so I would have expected it to land much much earlier to be able to stabilize during the development phase long before the branching point.
>
> I was wondering about this too. I'm not necessarily opposed, but
> wouldn't it make sense to target landing soon *after* the branch
> instead, to give it time to integrate, stabilize, and then ship in the
> next release?

Usually, yes.

I'm guessing this is due to downstream implementations wanting to pick
up the current release as base target (which can be done regardless,
but...).

In theory we can hide flang by having to explicitly name it on the
build command, so merging now or later won't make massive practical
change.

I personally don't like rushing things like that, but I'm not strongly
opposed to either, if everyone else is on board with the rush.

cheers,
--renato