[llvm-dev] Flang landing in the monorepo - next Monday!

Doerfert, Johannes via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 7 14:38:31 PST 2020

On 01/07, David Blaikie via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hey Peter - would you be able to link to/describe the history on this
> process/decision. I can find one old thread where this was first proposed (
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-February/130497.html ) with
> some general positive responses and a lot of questions.
>
> I see there's a flang-dev list, though I'm not sure where code review is
> happening (is there flang-commits or equivalent?) as there's not much
> chatter on the mailing list that I can see.

There is a flang-commits. We have everything set up to use Phabricator
as MLIR did.

> & I'm a bit concerned about flang, already a project with no LLVM API
> usage, it seems, and a community that doesn't currently look like it has
> much overlap with the LLVM developer community (a very rough glance at
> flang-dev participants, but I could be wrong - the LLVM community is large,
> to be sure) - I'm concerned that this might create a not very well
> integrated community, as we saw in the past with lldb, for instance.

I think I mentioned this before but some people are waiting for the move
to be able to actually participate in the Flang development. So the
current github contributions do not necessarily reflect the LLVM
developers that will be involved.

On flang-dev [0] we have long term LLVM developers and people that join
the LLVM developers community with the merge of Flang but even those
already actively participated at the LLVM-Dev!

The API usage is a valid concern, among others, which will require code
changes in the near future.

[0] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/flang-dev/2019-December/author.html

Thanks,
  Johannes