[llvm-dev] Legalizing vector types

Sebastien Le Duc via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 7 05:30:48 PST 2020

Thanks or your reply

Actually for v8i8 it already goes thru SplitVector/Scalarize code path even
with the default Vector Action, because there is no legal vector type to
promote to or to widen to.

But then getVectorTypeBreakdown will return 8 x i32 in our case because we
don’t support any i8 vector.

My understanding is that currenty LLVM supports only 3 cases to legalize
vectors:
*) promoting to a vector type that has the same number of elts but a wider
elt type
*) widening to a vector type that has the same elt type
*) splitting to smaller vectors with the same elt type

It does not support cases that would imply 2 of the above steps, in my case
promoting v8i8 first to v8i16, then splitting it to 2xv4i16

That's why the only solution I found is to make v8i16 legal, this way v8i8
is promoted to v8i16
But then since v8i16 is not natively supported in our architecture, I have
to add patterns to generate code for all v8i16 operations that will use 2
v4i16 instruction