[llvm-dev] Best way of implement a fat pointer for C

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 7 03:51:14 PST 2020

Hi,

For CHERI, we use pointers in address space 200 to represent memory
capabilities (which are a kind of fat pointer).  These are able to pass
through the LLVM pipeline and we then lower them to special instructions
in the various targets that understand that pointers are a
heardware-enforced type.  It would be possible to add late pass that
then expanded these into a StructType that contained the address and
whatever metadata you wanted, and expanded loads and stores to use the
address component.  Note that if you want to hoist checks out of loops,
you will want to do this expansion somewhere in the middle of your pass
pipeline.

The tricky part here is in function parameters: you cannot easily change
the type of a function after it has been created.  Your best bet here is
to always pass fat pointers as the structure representation.

LLVM does not assume that pointers are integers - we have done a lot of
work to remove that assumption and the IR has always made the two types
distinct.  There are still a few rough areas, but these are bugs.  We
are able to compile nontrivial codebases (e.g. FreeBSD, WebKit) with
optimisations enabled for targets where pointers and integers are
distinct types at the hardware level.

David