[llvm-dev] Multi-Threading Compilers

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 28 08:56:10 PST 2020

On 02/28, Nicholas Krause via llvm-dev wrote:
> Anyhow what is the status and what parts are we planning to move to
> MLIR in LLVM/Clang.  I've not seen any discussion on that other than
> starting to plan for it.

As far as I know, there is no (detailed/discussed/agreed upon/...) plan
to move any existing functionality in LLVM-Core or Clang to MLIR. There
are some people that expressed interest in there is Chris's plan on how
the transition could look like.

If we want to look into multi-threading for the existing LLVM
infrastructure there are certainly possibilities. Computing (function)
analyses results prior to CGSCC and Module passes for example. When it
comes to transformations it is less straight forward but there is still
interest in looking into it.

I'm traveling but if you are interested we can discuss this further next
week.

Cheers,
  Johannes