[llvm-dev] Why is lldb telling me "variable not available"?

Brian Gesiak via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 26 15:29:52 PST 2020

Vedant, Jeremy,

Thanks a ton! I copied ASan's use of 'replaceDbgDeclare', think that worked!

https://github.com/modocache/llvm-project/commit/afbc04e1dcba has some
extremely quick and dirty changes I made (with no tests!), and a link
to a Gist with the LLVM IR and DWARF produced,
https://gist.github.com/modocache/6f29093ba2827946011b422ed3bd2903.

There's only one kink: the spot I placed it has 'replaceDbgDeclare'
called multiple times, and it reuses the result of a single
getelementptr instruction. Because of this, only the last invocation
results in correct debug info being produced. Put another way: when I
place a breakpoint in my example on the last instance that %i is
reloaded, repro.cpp:45 at
https://gist.github.com/modocache/6f29093ba2827946011b422ed3bd2903#file-repro-cpp-L45,
I get the correct debug info: i = 3, j = 2. In every other spot, I get
'error: Couldn't materialize: couldn't get the value of variable i:
variable not available'. Still, is great progress for me.

I think to work around this error, I need to do 2 things:

1. Call replaceDbgDeclare only once.
2. Call it with the correct arguments -- you may have noticed in
https://github.com/modocache/llvm-project/commit/afbc04e1dcba#diff-f1204f42e8cb9e3718892e63059f8347R743
that I'm applying an offset of 0, which doesn't make much sense. I
need to figure out how to use this function such that it encodes in
DWARF to load at an offset from the coroutine frame, just as a
getelementptr would.

- Brian