[llvm-dev] The semantics of nonnull attribute

Juneyoung Lee via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 20 07:47:22 PST 2020

Hello all,

The problem with defining all attributes as yielding poison is that,
certain attributes are not meaningful to yield poison or only meaningful
when it is conveyed with not_poison.
If a dereferenceable argument can have poison, I don’t think the attribute
will be useful by its alone because existing analyses cannot conclude that
accessing the pointer is okay; To make the conclusion, it always has to be
carried with not_poison. Forgetting not_poison check will lead to a bug.
Among other attributes, byval seems problematic to me.
The value pointed by a byval pointer is copied at a temporary space, and
the temporary address is passed to the callee.
This means that byval argument should raise UB if it was not
dereferenceable; `f(byval null);` raises segmentation fault even if the
null pointer is not used inside f(). (https://godbolt.org/z/sNC_RF ) So we
cannot define it as f(poison).

If the semantics of attributes should be consistent, I suggest UB should be
the one. not_poison will also raise UB if the input was poison, so it also
satisfies the consistency as well.
The gep inbounds optimization should be fixed then. For dead argument
elimination and function call hoisting, we should be able to drop relevant
attributes.

Best regards,
Juneyoung Lee