[llvm-dev] The semantics of nonnull attribute

Eli Friedman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 18 13:37:01 PST 2020

I think calling the attribute "used" is confusing.  I'd suggest the following:

"not_poison": If an argument is marked not_poison, and the argument is poison at runtime, the call is instant UB.  Whether an argument is poison is checked after the rules for other attributes like "nonnull" and "align" are applied.

This makes it clear that the IR semantics don't depend on the implementation of the called function.  And it's the logical extension of the way we define the relationship between UB and poison for instructions.

-Eli