[llvm-dev] Code of Conduct Next Steps - Community feedback needed

C Bergström via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 17 17:04:28 PST 2020

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 8:56 AM Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> > On Feb 17, 2020, at 10:06 AM, David Chisnall via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Tanya,
> >
> > Is there a reason for hosting things for review on Google Docs?  We
> currently have both Phabricator and GitHub that work for review of any
> text-based format.  When I click on a Google Docs link, I am asked to agree
> to a privacy policy that is very vague and I am somewhat uncomfortable
> agreeing to it.
> >

> David,
>
> I understand not everyone wants to use Google docs which was why I gave an
> option to reply via email as well. My intention on using Google docs is
> really just based on my experience using it for docs that span different
> groups of people and it is what I primarily use for text documents.
>
> I would like everyone to feel like they have a way to respond and provide
> feedback so please let me know if the options I have given do not work.

I won't be actively participating in this, but I will be read-only
following it. I like github for this as well since it could be easier to
track the precise questions/objections and track that flow to resolution.
Compared to google docs which is like what a secretary might send to the
boss, but I've never seen used to handle a technical issue like this. To me
this is "code" and I'd love to see how questions are asked and how that
discussion evolves until resolution. Like a github issue.. Maybe google
docs has this and I've just been missing it. There's also the question of
how transparent you want this process to be and if you want it to be
accessible to every llvm developer. Telling David to just email you or
making him agree to some Google privacy thing isn't a very warm, friendly
or productive start.

David - I'd propose to get a copy of things in their current state and just
fork it to github. Then invite others to open issues against it.