[llvm-dev] About OpenMP dialect in MLIR

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 17 16:14:55 PST 2020

I replied inlined and I marked one section with the tag [MOST
INTERESTING] in order to highlight it. I believe it is important that
the Flang + OpenMP community takes a closer look at this and we discuss
this as early as possible.

On 02/17, Vinay Madhusudan wrote:
> Please find the reply inline below:
>
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 12:51 AM Johannes Doerfert <jdoerfert at anl.gov>
> wrote:
>
> > On 02/14, Vinay Madhusudan wrote:
> > > It sounds like LLVM IR is being considered for optimizations in OpenMP
> > > constructs. There seems to be plans regarding improvement of LLVM IR
> > > Framework for providing things required for OpenMP / flang(?)
> >
> > LLVM has the OpenMPOpt pass now [0] in which we can put OpenMP specific
> > transformations. For now it is simple but we have some more downstream
> > patches, e.g., parallel region expansion [Section 5, 1].  Other
> > optimizations [Section 3 & 4, 1], will be performed by the Attributor
> > (see [4] after [2,3]) after one missing piece (basically [5] with some
> > more plumming) was put in place, see [2,3] for details on the idea.
> >
> > Please feel free to ask questions on any of this.
> >
> > [0] https://reviews.llvm.org/D69930
> > [1] http://compilers.cs.uni-saarland.de/people/doerfert/par_opt18.pdf
> > [2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfiHaPaoQPc
> > [3] http://compilers.cs.uni-saarland.de/people/doerfert/par_opt_lcpc18.pdf
> > [4] https://youtu.be/CzWkc_JcfS0
> > [5] https://reviews.llvm.org/D71505
> >
> > It might also worth looking into [6,7] mentioned below.
> >

> Thanks for sharing all the interesting work going on LLVM IR side of things
> for OpenMP. I will take a look at it.
>
> As I have mentioned before, I am mostly concerned (in this thread) about
> the MLIR side of things for OpenMP and various optimizations/
> transformations that are planned. I was surprised to see the plans for LLVM
> IR and not for MLIR.

We publicize our plans as widely as possible and as early as possible.
The talks above are from LLVM-Dev meetings*, usually a good spot to look
for bigger changes. Also, there were early discussions/RFCs on the -dev
lists.

* We spoke on the Euro and US developers meeting in 2018 and 2019 about
  these things. EuroLLVM 2020 has an OpenMP Bof/Panel

> > > Are there any design considerations which contain pros and cons about
> > using
> > > the MLIR vs LLVM IR for various OpenMP related optimizations/
> > > transformations?
> >
> > The biggest pro for LLVM-IR is that it works for C/C++ right now.
>

> > TBH, I don't even know what transformations people plan to do on OpenMP
> MLIR (and why).
>
> A good support for C/C++ in LLVM-IR shouldn’t be an impediment for
> considering OpenMP dialect transformations / optimizations for the ongoing
> *flang* effort. As we all agree, things like dependencies etc can be solved
> in an *easier way* in MLIR and C/C++ seems to be the “only caveat”.

Agreed. C/C++ should not be an impediment for the *flang* effort. It
should be taken into account wrt. resources and how we spend them but I
never tried to say that for flang we couldn't do something special in
addition.

> > In
> > addition, as I mentioned before, LLVM-IR has mature analysis and
> > transformation passes for real world programs and support things like
> > LTO out of the box.
> >
> I think LTO for flang is planned to be based on LLVM. I do not see any
> other option for now!

Seems reasonable to me. Just to make the implication clear: If you want
OpenMP optimizations that require inter-translation-unit information,
e.g., merge parallel regions from different files, you'll need
LLVM-IR-based OpenMP transformations.

> > > The latest RFC [ (3) in my original post ] mentions that:

> > be
> > > carried out.
> > >
> > > Could you please provide more details on this?
> > >
> > > I would like to quote Chris here:
> > >
> > > “if you ignore the engineering expense, it would clearly make sense to
> > > reimplement the mid-level LLVM optimizers on top of MLIR and replace
> > > include/llvm/IR with a dialect definition in MLIR instead.“ --
> > > http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-January/138341.html
> > >
> > > *Rest of the comment are inlined.*

> > optimizations
> > there can
> > it.

> > > This isn’t entirely correct because the current OpenMP API specification
> > (
> > > https://www.openmp.org/spec-html/5.0/openmpch1.html) assumes that the
> > code
> > > inside the constructs belong to C, C++ and Fortran programs.
> >
> > (FWIW, my next sentence specified that I talk about the  base language
> >        but anyway.)
> >
> > While technically true, I will recommend not to make that assumption. We
> > do already allow non-base language constructs, e.g., CUDA intrinsics in
> > target regions, and that will not go away because it is required to
> > maximize performance.

> > > I am mostly concerned with the MLIR side of things for OpenMP
> > > representation.
> > >
> > >  MLIR can not only support operations for General Purpose languages like
> > > C,C++, Fortran, etc but also various Domain Specific Language
> > > representations as dialects (Example, ML, etc.). Note that there is also
> > > SPIR V dialect which is again meant for “Parallel Compute”.
> > >
> > >  It becomes important to define the scope of the dialects / operations /
> > > types supported inside OpenMP operations in MLIR.
> >
> > Arguably, the OpenMP dialect in MLIR should match the OpenMP directives
> > and clauses as defined by the standard. Anything else is "not OpenMP".
> >

> Yes! This is what needs to be “defined” for the various dialects...

I think we are in agreement here.

> > > Isn’t it the other way around? For example, it doesn’t make much sense to
> > > wrap OpenMP operations for SPIR-V operations / types.
> >
> > I maybe misunderstanding but I thought you want to use something like
> > the GPU / Affine dialect to represent an OpenMP target region / loop.
> > That is plausible if you analyze the target region / loop and verify it
> > fits into the more generic dialect semantics.
> >

> > > I think it is important to specify (in the design) which existing MLIR
> > > dialects are supported in this effort and the various lowerings /
> > > transformations / optimizations which are planned for them.
> >
> > That I cannot really help you with. TBH, I don't even know what
> > transformations people plan to do on OpenMP MLIR (and why).

> > > You can have a well-defined call-like mlir::Operation which calls the GPU
> > > kernel. Perform all cross-device transformations in an easier way.
> > > Then, this operation can be lowered to OpenMP runtime calls during LLVM
> > > dialect conversion.
> >
> > You missed my point I made in the other email. An OpenMP target region
> > is statically not a GPU offload so you should not model it as such "for
> > some time".
> >
> > I did not get your point here.
>
> Why is OpenMP program compiled with single target (say, nvptx) isn’t a GPU
> offload case? Are you saying that tgt_target might invoke some code other
> than GPU kernel even if the user intends to run it on GPU?
>
> Even when there are multiple targets, all the code should get “statically”
> compiled and kept ready.
>
> In any case, unless it is statically proved that the GPU kernel is not
> executed, you need to optimize the code inside the GPU kernel and it would
> be better to do it in MLIR was the point.

There are at least two different things that need to be considered here:
  1) Fallback code for the initial device which *has* to be present in
     the general case.
  2) How do you handle multiple targets (which can be just a single GPU
     and the host) wrt. preprocessing & compilation.

The first is fairly simple to handle by doing some "local" versioning,
e.g., you can have your "GPU version" and you keep a "non-GPU one"
around as well. I only mention this because not keeping the CPU version
around could arguably introduce subtle bugs when "GPU behavior" is
assumed during some analysis/transformation.

[MOST INTERESTING]

The second point is more complex though and I'm unsure of the wider
community has consider this completely:

Let's start by looking at the C/C++ side (which is what I am more
familiar with so my expectations/argumentation is skewed):
- Clang basically compiles the code for each target once. That includes
  preprocessing, parsing, ...
- GCC runs the preprocessor only once and then splits the code
  internally at some point.
There are interesting consequences to this choice, mostly when it comes
to the question how you deal with "non-standard" code, e.g., target
specific vector types, target specific assembly, target specific
intrinsics, ....

In clang, you can use #ifdefs to guard code for the host and device
respectively.
In GCC all #ifdefs are resolved wrt. the host.
[ Site note: We introduced `omp begin/end declare variant` to provide an
  OpenMP way that avoids #ifdefs but that is not the point right now. ]

The central question now is:
  What is the flang story on this and how does that interact with the
  MLIR representation?

We might want talk about some example situation:
Let's say we want to compile a target region for 2 targets, a GPU and a
multi-core of a different vendor. We want to share most of the code but
we'll end up with target specific intrinsics and target specific
assembly either because we typed them explicitly or because we included
some specialized library which we can just call <math> for simplicity.
Now in Clang you would get 2 modules:
  1) Host (=multi-core device) + fallback code
  2) GPU code

In fact, declare variant, metadirective, and an #ifdef solution
compatible with clang require us to do some sort of *early* versioning,
potentially on a finer-granularity though.

I would be really interested in the ways Flang/FC is supposed to handle
(or not?) these situations:
  - target specific #ifdefs
  - declare variant
  - (nested) metadirective

[MOST INTERESTING DONE]

> > > I think this is much better than directly having calls
> > > to the OpenMP runtime library based on a kernel name mentioned in
> > > llvm::GlobalVariable.
> >
> > (Current) implementation is not semantics. There is no reason not to
> > change the way we lower OpenMP, e.g., by getting rid of the global
> > variables. They are present for a reason but not intrinsically required.
> > See the TRegions for example [6,7], they totally change the GPU lowering,
> > making it device agnostic and easy to analyze and optimize in the middle
> > end. Arguing the current encoding of OpenMP in LLVM-IR is problematic is
> > the same as arguing MLIR's LLVM dialect doesn't support atomic_rmw, it
> > might be true but its changeable.
> >
> > [6] https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-28596-8_11
> > [7] http://parallel.auckland.ac.nz/iwomp2019/slides_TRegion.pdf

> > implemented

> > OpenMP
> > (i.e.,

> > is
> > same

> > problem
> > allowed
> > > >

> > > Just to be clear, having all three of “target”, “parallel” and “do”
> > doesn’t
> > > represent “Nested parallelism” at all in the proposed design! ( 2(d) ).
> > >
> > > omp.target {
> > >
> > >   omp.parallel {
> > >
> > >      omp.do {
> > >
> > >       …...
> > >
> > >       }
> > >
> > >    }
> > >
> > > }
> > >
> > > Above invokes a call to the tgt_target() for the code inside omp.do as
> > > mentioned in the proposal.
> >
> > I do not follow. Just to make sure, the above should be roughly
> > equivalent to the  code below, correct? There is no "nested"
> > parallelism, sure, but I thought you were talking about the case where
> > there is, e.g. add another `#pragma omp parallel` inside the one that
>
> already is there. That is nested parallelism which can happen and make
> > total sense for the application.
> >

> No, actually. I was just saying that, all three could have been merged to
> one OpenMP operation “target_parallel_for” in MLIR rather than having three
> and analyzing them.

Sure, if they are closely nested without other code nested with them you
can combine them just fine. Given that Clang does that as well I'm
unsure what benefit we get from MLIR.

What I was talking about is the general situation of nested parallelism,
e.g., more along the lines of:

 #pragma omp target
 {
   #pragma omp parallel
   { ... some code ... }
   ... some code ...
   #pragma omp parallel
   {
     ... some code ...
     #pragma omp for
     for (...)
     {
     }
     ... some code ...
     #pragma omp parallel
     {
       ... some code ...
     }
     ... some code ...
   }
   ... some code ...
 }

> [...]
> > encoding (=IR). In case of 3) we are done and nothing is happening.
> > Let's consider case 2) as 1) is basically a special case of it. As shown
> > in the paper [1], you need to broadcast values created by some_code
> > across all threads and synchronize appropriately to preserve semantic.
> > Other than that, the transformation is straight forward:
> >
> > A) Create a function "@body01_fn" that is basically the outlined region
> > in which code is then guarded and __kmpc_fork_call are replaced by
> > direct calls. It looks like this:
> > ```
> >   call @body0_fn(...)
> >   #omp master
> >   some_code
> >   #omp barrier
> >   call @body1_fn(...)
> > ```
> >
> > B) Replace the region you put in the new function with a
> >    __kmpc_fork_call to it:
> > ```
> >   __kmpc_fork_call(..., @body01_fn, ...)
> > ```
> >
> > C) Done.
> >
> > If you are interested in the implementation I'll add you as a reviewer
> > once I put it on Phab. I'm in the process of cleaning up my stand alone
> > pass and moving it into the OpenMPOpt pass instead.
> >

> > > vs.
> > >
> > > MLIR provides a way to represent the operations closer to the source. It
> > is
> > > as simple as checking the next operation(s) in the mlir::Block. OpenMP
> > > target operation contains an inlined region which can easily be fused/
> > > split /  or any other valid transformation for that matter.
> > >
> > > Note that you can also perform various Control Structure Analysis /
> > > Transformations much easier in MLIR. For example, you can decide to
> > execute
> > > foo() based on certain conditions, and you can merge the two target
> > regions
> > > in the else path.
> >
> > At the end, it's an encoding difference. Sure, the handling might be
> > easier in certain situations but all the validity checks, hence code
> > analyses, are still required. The actual "rewrite" is usually not the
> > hard part.

> > > With multi-dimensional index support for arrays, wouldn’t it be better to
> > > do the data dependence analysis in MLIR?
> >
> > Yes, probably.
> >

> > > LLVM IR has linearized subscripts for multi-dimensional arrays.
> > > llvm::DependenceAnalysis tries to “guess” the indices based on different
> > > patterns in SCEV. It takes an intrinsic
> > > <http://llvm.org/devmtg/2020-04/talks.html#LightningTalk_88> or
> > metadata or
> > > some other mechanism of communication from the front end (not the
> > built-in
> > > set of instructions) to solve this problem.
> >
> > Not disagreeing with you on this one ;)
> >
> > The only caveat is that we still live in a world in which C/C++ is a
> > thing.
> >

> Doesn’t mean that we should not be having optimizations in MLIR for Fortran

Agreed. FWIW, I never tried to say that.

> > > You can have “x” as a locally defined variable inside the “task”
> > contained
> > > region in MLIR OR custom data-sharing attributes in OpenMP dialect.
> >
> > I'm not saying it is impossible or even hard, but maybe not as straight
> > forward as one might think. Your encoding is for example very reasonable.
> >
> > In the example below you need to print 3, not 5, e.g., constant prop on
> > the outer level should not happen.
> >

> Yes, that is why I am concerned about the design considerations of clauses
> like shared, map, firstprivate, etc.
>

> > ```
> > x = 5;
> > #omp task shared(x)
> > {
> >   x = 3;
> >   some_form_of_sync();
> > }
> > some_form_of_sync();
> > print(x);
> > ```

> > existing
> > > >
> > > I do not see much reason why the issues you mentioned can’t trivially be
> > > mapped to the MLIR infrastructure. There is an easy way to define custom
> > > operations / types / attributes in OpenMP dialect and perform
> > optimizations
> > > based on the *IR that is created especially for OpenMP*. The analysis /
> > > transformations required can be easily written on the custom operations
> > > defined rather than having a lowered form in the LLVM IR.
> >
> > You can totally define your OpenMP dialect and map it to that. Mapping
> > to other dialects is the problematic part.
>

> Yes, this is why I have mentioned that RFC should talk about the following:
>
> "I think it is important to specify (in the design) which existing MLIR
>
> dialects are supported in this effort and the various lowerings /
> transformations / optimizations which are planned for them."

Seems reasonable to me, though I'm *not* an MLIR person.

Cheers,
  Johannes

jdoerfert at anl.gov