[llvm-dev] RFC: Mark BasicAA as a CFG-only pass.

Alina Sbirlea via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 10 14:09:54 PST 2020

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 1:48 PM Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> On 2/10/20 2:35 PM, Alina Sbirlea wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Here's a tentative patch of the changes for this: D74353
> <https://reviews.llvm.org/D74353>.
>

> I suppose that, as expected, it's invalidated less often this way. Given
> that it's generally stateless, does this really represent a cost savings?
>
>  -Hal

I don't think there is a cost savings now, the current patch shouldn't have
much or any impact.
But I think this can affect future infrastructure changes.
I got here by looking at MemCpyOpt, as part of a longer term goal of having
the pass sequence [GVN, MemCpyOpt, DSE] use MemorySSA instead of
MemDepAnalysis. Currently we're explicitly checking that, after MemCpyOpt,
BasicAA is freed. This wouldn't make sense when using MemorySSA in all 3
passes, as we'd end up rebuilding MemorySSA due to invalidating BasicAA.
I kept the changes needed to MemCpyOpt to preserve passes separate from
this discussion.
Does this clarify some of the motivation?

Alina