[llvm-dev] State of llgo in monorepo?

Raphael Isemann via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 10 08:42:10 PST 2020

Hi all,

the monorepo contains a Go frontend called 'llgo' (in the llgo/ top
level folder). It apparently hasn't been active since 2017 and before
that it wasn't very active either (there were 13 commits in 2016
apparently, most of it minor fixes).

I would propose that we remove it from the monorepo for the following reasons:

* It is apparently unmaintained.
* It only supports a long outdated Go version (1.5 while latest is 1.13 or so).
* It doesn't build (at least on my machine) due to runtime errors (the
build log is really unhelpful in telling me what actually went wrong).
In general the build system is kinda flawed as it seems to just
manually run 'make' as a single custom build step (even with a -GNinja
build).
* It contains a full copy of Mark Twain's novel "The Adventures of Tom
Sawyer". It gets really tiring to blacklist this file on my desktop
search engine as it otherwise constantly comes up in unrelated
searches for words that are by accident in this novel.
* The sources of multiple third party libraries are copied into its
third party directory. It would be nice not to have random code in the
LLVM repo under a different license than LLVM.
* It's the only reason why we maintain some Go support in LLVM's CMake
(like llvm_add_go_executable ).

Thoughts?

- Raphael