[llvm-dev] [RFC] Granular Return Attributes

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 10 11:07:09 PST 2020

Tim's proposal sounds good to me. Can you say more about the motivation for
doing away with the current swifterror alloca convention? It seems
self-evidently ugly, but is there something that makes removing it urgent?

Regarding sret's void return requirement, keep in mind that many targets
(x86, others) return the sret pointer in the standard return register, and
we typically don't represent that at the IR level. Perhaps this doesn't
affect swiftcc, but it's something to keep in mind.

The long term goal of replacing first-class-aggregates with multi-value
producing instructions seems like a good future design direction, but it's
probably best left for another day.