[llvm-dev] RFC: Contributing Bazel BUILD files in the "peripheral" support tier

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 9 03:07:43 PST 2020

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 07:21, Stella Laurenzo via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> +1 to making this a pitch - This thread seems deadlocked to me (with
> plenty of evidence that everyone is acting in what they see is in the best
> interests of the community and having a legitimate disagreement). In my
> experience, as well, when a discussion gets to this phase and there is
> still a strong objection by one or two parties still willing to make it
> (which can be exhausting to hold such lines), there are almost always more
> people who share the viewpoint but don't want to get involved. Best to
> follow a real process towards resolution when things get to that level. I
> dislike discussions of attrition and would welcome a process for resolving
> this one. We feel uncomfortably close to attempting to "get this through on
> a technicality" (full disclosure: I would benefit from such an outcome),
> and I don't think that would be a success -- it is alienating. We've got a
> process for deciding such things. Let's use it and then live with the
> outcome.

Well said. +1.

Geoffrey, I don't think you did anything wrong by re-submitting the RFC.
This is what I would have done. We hoped the policy would solve problems
but it didn't solve all, so we just need to rethink the approach and start
again, there is no shame in that.

Stella's reply above is a more well written point that I was trying to make
earlier. Thanks Stella!

--renato