[llvm-dev] Catching exceptions while unwinding through -fno-exceptions code

Modi Mo via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 8 15:06:00 PST 2020

> - Add a flag (-fterminate-exceptions?). This is because this is a very clear behavior change, so at least providing an opt-in/opt-out mechanism seems important. Possible option: make this an enum, have 'strict' = all exceptions crash, 'normal' = exceptions passing through methods that would require a cleanup /etc. terminate, none (default) = current  behavior where things just leak/etc.

+1. This definitely needs to be an opt-in feature over the current default behavior.

> I think I'd prefer (and the team I partner with would prefer) /any/ exception passing from code compiled with -fexceptions to code compiled with -fno-exceptions to halt & return an error, even if the method wouldn't have participated in exception handling (e.x. no classes that need to have destructors called, etc.)  I think the most desirable behavior is "the program halts if exceptions pass through code compiled without exceptions enabled".

Fully agreed. Mixing -fno-exceptions code with -fexceptions code is already dangerous and an anti-pattern. Propagating an exception successfully past code which is -fno-exceptions is asking for problems when LLVM has been explicitly instructed to build with the knowledge that this scenario will not occur. To that end, a “non-strict” mode means the compiler has to reason about exceptions with -fno-exceptions passed which makes this seem more of a sub-flag for -fexceptions funnily enough.

> I have verified that changing the personality function to std::terminate during code generation (via a boolean flag/etc.) does exactly what I'm looking for (but also has an impact on intermediate sizes of about what I expected).

Nice! I’m curious about the impact of sizes. The relevant CIE + FDE with exceptions look like the following:

From llvm-dwarfdump:

Has handler:

000000a8 0000001c ffffffff CIE

  Version:               1

  Augmentation:          "zPLR"

  Code alignment factor: 1

  Data alignment factor: -8

  Return address column: 16

  Personality Address: 00201a50 // gxx_personality_v0

  Augmentation data:     03 50 1A 20 00 03 1B

  DW_CFA_def_cfa: reg7 +8

  DW_CFA_offset: reg16 -8

  DW_CFA_nop:

  DW_CFA_nop:

000000c8 00000024 00000024 FDE cie=00000024 pc=00001120...0000117f

  LSDA Address: 002006b0

No Handler:

00000000 00000014 ffffffff CIE

  Version:               1

  Augmentation:          "zR"

  Code alignment factor: 1

  Data alignment factor: -8

  Return address column: 16

  Augmentation data:     1B

  DW_CFA_def_cfa: reg7 +8

  DW_CFA_offset: reg16 -8

  DW_CFA_nop:

  DW_CFA_nop:

00000018 00000010 0000001c FDE cie=0000001c pc=fffffc00...fffffc2f

  DW_CFA_advance_loc: 4

  DW_CFA_undefined: reg16

Registering terminate/custom handler as a handler allows you to bypass the “L” Augmentation (since you don’t need an LSDA in such cases) so the total cost should be:

  1.  “P” augmentation string, 1 byte
  2.  Encoding in Augmentation data of Personality Routine, 1 byte
  3.  Relocation to Personality Routine, 4 bytes

So it should add 6 bytes to every function. You can’t get away from adding an address to each function’s .eh_frame entry with how CIE/FDE works. I think the extreme that is possible is encoding this scenario in a new character in the Augmentation String but that will severely limit what you can do outside of directly calling abort() along with changing the ABI 😃.

> From looking at the current location of exception-handling code, would it make more sense to have the personality function in libcxxabi (where __gxx_personality_v0 and friends live) or in compiler-rt (which doesn't seem to have any exception handling code at the moment)?

It depends on the amount of functionality here and how language specific this is. As it stands I don’t think this is C++ specific and could extend to other llvm language targets which makes it a better candidate with compiler-rt. It would be good to flesh out what behavior you want out of the personality function then go from there.

Modi