[llvm-dev] Ninja hangs when I try to build

Adrian McCarthy via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 8 14:13:38 PST 2020

Sorry, I'm not familiar with "the usual message about switching from the
32-bit to the 64-bit linker."  Can you elaborate?

> Is there an easy way to turn off PDB creation?

Probably, but I don't know it offhand.  The MS linker is going to produce a
PDB by default if /DEBUG is specified, and it's pretty common to generate
them for "release" builds as well.

My guess is that you're building multiple configurations at once, and
different configurations (e.g., 32- and 64-bit, or debug and release) are
trying to write their own PDBs to the same file name.  I generally only
build one configuration at a time, and I use ninja (even with MSVC) rather
than the Visual Studio solution.  Off the top of my head, exactly where the
Cmake-generated build configurations try to place the PDBs.