[llvm-dev] Catching exceptions while unwinding through -fno-exceptions code

Everett Maus via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 8 11:26:19 PST 2020

That makes sense.  Really appreciate the feedback, all.

I think the approach I'll look at implementing is probably to:
- Implement a dedicated 'termination' personality function (in
compiler-rt?) that does appropriate logging + exit.
- Add a flag (-fterminate-exceptions?). This is because this is a very
clear behavior change, so at least providing an opt-in/opt-out mechanism
seems important. Possible option: make this an enum, have 'strict' = all
exceptions crash, 'normal' = exceptions passing through methods that would
require a cleanup /etc. terminate, none (default) = current behavior where
things just leak/etc.
- During code generation, when -fno-exceptions is turned on, if
-fterminate-exceptions was passed, it changes the personality function from
being not-present to being the dedicated -fno-exceptions termination
personality function.

Not sure how much binary size balances with other concerns, but it sounds
> to me that the methods proposed are ones that would result in false
> positives where unwinding through the frame would have resulted in no
> action even when compiled with exceptions fully on.
>
> Perhaps leaving functions that would otherwise be "transparent" to
> exception handling alone is already implied?

So I think this is actually not ideal behavior, at least for the use case I
have in mind.

I think I'd prefer (and the team I partner with would prefer) /any/
exception passing from code compiled with -fexceptions to code compiled
with -fno-exceptions to halt & return an error, even if the method wouldn't
have participated in exception handling (e.x. no classes that need to have
destructors called, etc.)  I think the most desirable behavior is "the
program halts if exceptions pass through code compiled without exceptions
enabled".

There's a few reasons for this:
First, because you can imagine that you could wind up with a situation
where a "happy path" will usually work (but then you get an unexpected halt
on a less well tested path).
Second, because you can imagine a situation where that winds up putting
code in a very weird position where adding a local variable with a
destructor that must be called changes how a particular method participates
in exception handling from "it just passes exceptions through"  to "it
crashes". This could leave code in a weird state where it's hard to reason
about the impact of a change or it goes from a perceived "working fine"
state to a crashing state.
Third, it makes using *SAN code harder and less predictable. The reason I
became aware of this issue at all is that various sanitizers will insert
landing pads to keep track of stack unwinding (but don't do that with
-fno-exceptions code or if they believe an exception cannot pass through
the method).  That then leads to very, very weird behavior with those
sanitizers (memory leaks, very weird/hard to unravel stacks as new frames
get consistently added, etc.).  Sure--you could make the *SAN build
terminate in that case instead of just behaving weirdly, but it'd be nice
to get that behavior for normal code (since it's unrelated to the *SAN
behavior).

If having an intermediate scenario makes sense (only halting when a method
would have taken part in exception handling), then making the flag have 3
states (strict/normal/none) seems like the right choice to me.

Thoughts/feedback on this approach?

I have verified that changing the personality function to std::terminate
during code generation (via a boolean flag/etc.) does exactly what I'm
looking for (but also has an impact on intermediate sizes of about what I
expected).

Thanks,
--EJM

--EJM