[llvm-dev] Ninja hangs when I try to build

Adrian McCarthy via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Dec 8 11:17:51 PST 2020

The program database manager is a separate process VS uses to compile debug
info into a PDB.  The error happens when it's trying to update a PDB that
was created (or last modified) by a newer version of the PDB manager.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/error-messages/compiler-errors-1/fatal-error-c1902?view=msvc-160

I suspect you have more than one version of VS installed.

I would close all instances of Visual Studio, check your environment to
ensure that your build is set up to use the specific version you're
expecting, and make sure there are no lingering processes
running mspdbsrv.exe, and then try again.  If the problem recurs after
that, I'd repeat but also delete the PDB files in question and force the
compiler to rebuild them from scratch.