[llvm-dev] RFC: Contributing Bazel BUILD files in the "peripheral" support tier

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Dec 5 10:32:00 PST 2020

> On Dec 4, 2020, at 9:28 PM, Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> I'm not really a fan of having another build system in tree, but I also
> don't want to keep devoting a lot of time to arguing about it.  I was
> hoping that with the pitch process, we could avoid the kind of back and
> forth arguing on the list that typically make these RFCs so tiring.
>
> I still don't quite understand why there is so much push back against
> pitches, but I think everyone knows my perspective now, so I'm going to
> step back and let other people work out what the next steps should be.
>
> Can only speak for myself: I believe pitches should be more of a "last resort" than "the normal way of driving any proposal". I object to what I see using too easily a "pitch" as a way to "work around discussions”.

Right, it is an intentionally fairly heavy weight process, so it should be used sparingly.  That doesn’t mean it is a “last resort” thing though, we can use it when we think it will be valuable.

Random nit: please refer to it as the “LLVM Proposal Process”, a pitch is just one stage of that process.

-Chris