[llvm-dev] RFC: Contributing Bazel BUILD files in the "peripheral" support tier

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 4 19:19:59 PST 2020

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 6:42 PM Tom Stellard via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 12/3/20 4:27 PM, Geoffrey Martin-Noble wrote:
> > Apologies for the delayed response here. I was out of the "office".
> >
> > Thanks for taking another look :-)
> >
> > I want to respond first to the process question of pitch vs RFC. My
> > impression was that the pitch process should be used in the case that an
> > RFC couldn't reach consensus. I asked a few times in the last thread
> > (https://groups.google.com/g/llvm-dev/c/u07o3QREVUg/m/uVlV3pMTBAAJ and
> > https://groups.google.com/g/llvm-dev/c/u07o3QREVUg/m/wF5mu-dpBAAJ)
> > whether I should move this to a pitch, but feel like there wasn't a
> > clear response in the context of Renato's support tiers RFC.
> >
> > It seems like Tom and Renato still disagree about whether I should move
> > this to a pitch. I would appreciate some consensus on that point at
> > least :-D I do see the appeal of a living document for this sort of
> > thing, so definitely see the appeal there, but also it seems like the
> > pitch process is a heavier-weight and more unusual one, so I was
> > hesitant. My inclination is to continue this as an RFC unless we are
> > unable to reach consensus on the issue as outlined in the pitch process
> > description. It does feel like this is really not quite as big a
> > decision as you seem to be suggesting. It's also an easily reversible
> > one since there are no build dependencies and everything is contained.
> >

> I still think this should be a pitch.  The original mailing list
> discussion was controversial and that's when an RFC should be escalated
> to a pitch according to: [1].

You may have missed it, but in the meantime there has been another RFC
clarifying our policy though: https://llvm.org/docs/SupportPolicy.html
It seems fair to me to revisit this RFC as is in light of the policy change.

I'd actually like to request that the objections are reiterated and
positioned in terms of the policy before we escalate this.

> Thank you for responding to my technical concerns, and I agree that
> working out most of those details may be better left for a patch review
> discussion.  But I think at least the presence of build information for
> other projects and the sub-module alternative should be mentioned in the
> pitch.
>
> If there were only technical or support policy issues like these to
> resolve then I don't think this would be controversial and require a pitch.
>
> My main issue with this RFC, (which I tried to address at the end of my
> previous mail), is the precedent this sets for what gets included in
> tree.  Essentially, we have a subset of our community that chose to go a
> different direction from upstream, as always there are costs and
> benefits with this decision.  The question for the community is do we
> want to help or encourage this in the future by removing some of the
> costs of these decisions and allowing alternative implementations to
> live in tree.
>
> Maybe for build systems this is OK, and for other things this is not,
> I don't know.  But if we are going to be setting a precedent, to me, the
> best way to do this is through the pitch process.

Why are you considering this "setting a precedent" while there is already
GN in tree?

--
Mehdi