[llvm-dev] libLTO Codegen options issue

Steven Wu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 4 09:17:44 PST 2020

> On Dec 4, 2020, at 6:17 AM, Wael Yehia <wyehia at ca.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Steven and Mehdi,
>
>> Module doesn't have TargetOption. All it carries is the target triple
>> and all the feature flags in the metadata.
>
> I was talking about LTOModule, whose factory method (LTOModule::makeLTOModule) takes a `TargetOptions` object.
> It uses it to create a TargetMachine.
>

>> I would suggest you come
>> with solid example about which cl::opt you are trying to overwrite
>> and let's see if we can make an API out of it.
> please see my reasoning in my next paragraph.
>
>> In general, I see any cl::opt as a debugging tool. Clients should use
>> programmatic API and not rely on string-based CL opt to control what's
>> happening behind the APIs.
> I see, makes sense.
> But what if the cl::opt, that is used for debugging only, is not respected when you're actually trying to use it during debugging?
> This is the issue here, the mechanism by which you can pass "debugging" options to libLTO has a flaw where as a result, some cl::opt objects are read too soon, before option parsing has occurred.
>
> To be specific, we were adding a cl::opt option to control the value of a field in a `TargetOptions` object when the object is created via InitTargetOptionsFromCodeGenFlags. This is nothing new, as there are already a bunch of options (for example -march, -mcpu, -relocation-model) in CommandFlags.cpp that have an effect on TargetOptions objects created via InitTargetOptionsFromCodeGenFlags (which libLTO currently calls)
>
> Surely, we don't wanna add a new function to the libLTO API for every option in CommandFlag.cpp?

Do you have a specific option in TargetOption in mind or it is something only in your downstream?

The idea is that modules need to be standalone and contain all the information needed to construct the target it is optimized for. Most of those target specific options cannot be overwrite during link time because the previous optimization pipeline might have assumed otherwise. The preferred way to set a target related option is to put that into a function attribute. E.g.:

attributes #0 = { "target-features"="+foo" }

You just need to teach code generator to correctly understand them.

Steven