[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Renaming The Default Branch

Mike Edwards via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 3 09:51:01 PST 2020

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 5:31 PM Paul C. Anagnostopoulos via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Could you include instructions for us not-so-git-savvy folks that explain
> what we have to do locally? I know I have to rename my master branch. Do I
> have to do anything else?

Sorry Paul, my apologies for not responding to you earlier.  I know there
are many different ways in git to accomplish the same goal.  This is the
method I plan on using to update my local working copy of the repository:

In my local llvm-project directory:
$ git fetch origin
$ git checkout origin/main -b main

When you are ready to remove your local 'master' branch run:
$ git branch -d master

If someone else reading this would please peer review this,  I would
appreciate the assistance.  If I can get a LGTM from someone I will add
these steps to the webpage as well.

Thanks,
Mike