[llvm-dev] HTTP library in LLVM

Tobias Hieta via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 31 23:43:00 PDT 2020

>> I have only negative experiences with cpp-netlib - I would not recommend it.
>
> Can you elaborate on those negative experiences? I think that would be helpful in comparing it to the other alternatives.

Sure:
* It has not had a release since 2013 and the current release is not
compatible with current boost. You can go and use the master branch
but it's not that much more maintained.
* It depends on boost and specifically boost.spirit to do parsing
which is almost impossible to debug and is a VERY heavy dependency to
compile.
* it's not part of upstream boost but it installs it's headers into
the boost directory by default and pretends to be a boost library. (I
guess this is because it was at some point slated to be part of
boost).

TBH - I would be very hesitant to add a library that depends on boost,
while it has a lot of nice features and code it's a very heavy
dependency for LLVM to add at this point.

Hope this helps.
Tobias