[llvm-dev] Inlining with different target features

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 31 13:28:19 PDT 2020

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 1:23 PM Thomas Lively <tlively at google.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply! Using module metadata is an interesting idea, but
> it would require frontends to make wasm-specific changes to how they handle
> target features, which would be unfortunate. Working around that by
> extracting target features into metadata somewhere seems like it would be
> at least as intrusive as having the inliner update target features. We
> would also lose out on other valuable utilities like the ability to limit
> target intrinsics to certain features.

Fair enough all round. Though how does wasm work with this "spread the
features all around" - does the resulting binary end up only being
compatible with a target that has those features? Essentially making
features impossible to use conditionally? (I couldn't write some code that
did a runtime test for certain features, then used them only under that
condition - because my whole program would end up with the features enabled
anyway?)

Another direction would be to require the features to be specified
consistently for all components of the build, I guess - if that's the net
effect anyway. Would make portable libraries difficult, though - because
they'd be linked into different things with different feature sets and that
would violate the invariant.