[llvm-dev] TableGen enhancements

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Aug 29 18:23:13 PDT 2020

My sense (which is mostly historic, I haven’t worked on the code generators for a long time sadly) is that tblgen is reasonable with syntactic and other errors.  However, it doesn’t maintain the location info in the AST, so if a tblgen backend wants to report something that is wrong, it points back up to the top level records more often than not.

For example, consider if someone writes an invalid pattern like:

 (ADDrr32 EAX, AL)

The AL def is for an 8 bit register, but the instruction requires a 32-bit register.  The error message should point to the “AL” token on that line when it complains about it.

This is very dated memory, it is possible someone already fixed this up.

-Chris