[llvm-dev] End-to-end -fembed-bitcode .llvmbc and .llvmcmd

Steven Wu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 27 11:17:53 PDT 2020

Hi Mircea

From the RFC you mentioned, that is a Darwin specific implementation, which later got extended to support other targets. The main use case for the embed bitcode option is to allow compiler passing intermediate IR and command flags in the object file it produced for later use. For Darwin, it is used for bitcode recompilation, and some might use it to achieve other goals.

In order to use this information properly, you needs to have tools that understand the layout and sections for embedded bitcode. You can't just use an ordinary linker, because like you said, an ELF linker will just append the bitcode. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you need to implement the downstream tools, like linker, binary analysis tools, etc. to understand this concept.

Steven