[llvm-dev] Looking for suggestions: Inferring GPU memory accesses

Ees Kee via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Aug 22 09:11:22 PDT 2020

Hi Madhur and thanks for your answer.

> You can't replace thread specific variables with one thread ID.

Why not? Let me rephrase. What I'm looking for at this stage is to be able
to pick a thread in a block, and see for this particular thread, how many
memory accesses in the kernel are (statically) inferable.

For instance for these kernels
https://github.com/yuhc/gpu-rodinia/blob/0739f8045ca9d8153b06973a8b10f6d97485cd72/cuda/gaussian/gaussian.cu#L309
if
you provide concrete values for grid block and index as well as the scalar
arguments you can tell (manually) which offsets off of the pointer
arguments are being accessed by the kernel.
In contrast, in a kernel like this
https://github.com/yuhc/gpu-rodinia/blob/0739f8045ca9d8153b06973a8b10f6d97485cd72/cuda/huffman/hist.cu#L34
<https://github.com/yuhc/gpu-rodinia/blob/0739f8045ca9d8153b06973a8b10f6d97485cd72/cuda/huffman/hist.cu#L34>
you
cant infer them all because some indices are data-dependent.

What i'm looking for - and again, this is only a first step to something
bigger - is to automate this process.

Στις Σάβ, 22 Αυγ 2020 στις 5:38 μ.μ., ο/η Madhur Amilkanthwar <
madhur13490 at gmail.com> έγραψε: