[llvm-dev] RFC: Contributing bitcode_strip

Alexander Shaposhnikov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 21 12:29:30 PDT 2020

Yeah, this is a very reasonable question.
I've looked at `strip` and `bitcode_strip`,
there is a conflict of the command line options - e.g. on OSX they both
have "-r"
(https://www.unix.com/man-page/osx/1/strip/ ,
https://www.manpagez.com/man/1/bitcode_strip/) and the semantics are
completely different.
Some functionality (e.g. "-l") of bitcode_strip appears to be out of place
for `strip`, thus it seems like having a separate driver would be a cleaner
solution.
Regarding the symlinks structure - right, the plan is to create a new
symlink to llvm-objcopy (similarly to llvm-strip which is a symlink as well)
and if it's invoked as `bitcode_strip` we will parse the command line
arguments accordingly.

Kind regards,
Alexander Shaposhnikov