[llvm-dev] Clang is a resource hog, the installers for Windows miss quite some files, and are defect!

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 20 20:49:09 PDT 2020

I think David is not referring to the capitalization of file names, but to
"DUPLICATE", "WASTING", "NOT AMUSED", "BOGUS" etc. It should be possible to
report problems in a professional manner. Please remember that the project
is made available by volunteers for free. We also have a dedicated bug
tracker: bugs.llvm.org.

Am Do., 20. Aug. 2020 um 13:49 Uhr schrieb Stefan Kanthak via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>:

> BUGS #1 & #2:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On UNIX systems, these are symlinks. There are multiple potential
equivalents to symlinks on Windows systems, the one matching UNIX systems
the closest is relatively new and requires either Administrator rights or
developer mode turned on.Typically tools ported from a UNIX environment to
Windows just copy the file instead symlinking to avoid dealing with issues
such as when the installing on a non-NTFS file system (FAT, network drive,
etc), so does LLVM (
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/master/llvm/cmake/modules/LLVMInstallSymlink.cmake
).

Since mass storage is cheap, there isn't a lot of motivation to save to
invest time to save some space. However, you are free to invest that time
yourself and submit patches.

> BUG #5:
> ~~~~~~~
>
> Poor souls who want to install the 64-bit package after/aside the
> 32-bit package (or vice versa) are greeted with the following BOGUS
> message from the installers:
>  ______________________________________________________
> | Installation von LLVM
> |¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
> |  ^
> | /!\ LLVM is already installed.
> | ¯¯¯
> |     Do you want to install the old version before
> |     installing the new one?
> |
> |     [ Ja ] [ Nein ] [ Abbrechen ]
> |
>  ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
> Also note the denglish kauderwelsch: the title bar and the buttons
> are localized, but the message text isn't.

The button labels and message box title are provided by the Operating
System / Nullsoft Install System. LLVM itself does not do any localization
itself. I'd be more concerned that if offers to "install the old version"
(rather than uninstall it).

My guess this warning is a functionality provided by the Nullsoft Install
System that assumes that software only needs to be installed once on the
system. I wouldn't call it bogus, you may indeed not want to keep an older
version installed at the same time.

Michael