[llvm-dev] Adopting a third-party JSON library

Filippo Costa via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 18 07:01:20 PDT 2020

Hi,
I'm a new contributor. I'm considering the possibility of adopting a third-party JSON library instead of LLVM's homegrown `lib/Support/JSON.cpp`. The way I see it, this would bring several advantages as well as some downsides:

 + Slimmer codebase.
 + Benefit from upstream work and active contributions to another project.
 + Possibly improved performance and API ergonomics.
 - Likely compile times regression as many JSON libs are header-only.
 - Risk of introducing bugs and breakages across LLVM.

As far as I can tell, these are the most popular C++ JSON libs:

 * https://github.com/nlohmann/json
 * https://github.com/open-source-parsers/jsoncpp
 * https://github.com/Tencent/rapidjson

I'm trying to understand if this is something I should work on and whether or not it would benefit the project.

Filippo Costa