[llvm-dev] LLVM Weekly - #346, August 17th 2020
Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 17 10:58:15 PDT 2020
LLVM Weekly - #346, August 17th 2020
If you prefer, you can read a HTML version of this email at
Welcome to the three hundred and forty-sixth issue of LLVM Weekly, a weekly
newsletter (published every Monday) covering developments in LLVM, Clang, and
related projects. LLVM Weekly is brought to you by [Alex
Bradbury](https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-bradbury/). Subscribe to future
issues at <http://llvmweekly.org> and pass it on to anyone else you think may
be interested. Please send any tips or feedback to <asb at asbradbury.org>, or
@llvmweekly or @asbradbury on Twitter.
## News and articles from around the web
The submission deadline for the LLVM-HPC2020 workshop at SC20 is approaching,
with proposals [due by September
A new talk from Nick Desaulniers provides an
[introduction to the architecture of
## On the mailing lists
* Carlos Enciso [proposed llvm-diva for inclusion in
Debug Information Visual Analyzer was developed at Sony to help visualise
debug info at a high level. It also provides a comparison mode.
* Jeroen Dobbelaere reports that the previously discussed full restrict
patches are [now almost ready for
seeks feedback on the current plan for moving forwards.
* Discussion continued on support for zeroing caller saved regs with David
Chisnall [further discussing its security
* David Spickett posted an RFC on [supporting AArch64's tagging extension in
* OT JIT Weekly #20 [is
the headline item being that llvm-jitlink moved to the TargetProcessControl
API for memory allocation and access.
## LLVM commits
* Initial backend infrastructure was added for `-mtune`, represented as a
"tune-cpu" function attribute.
* Support was added for emitting the GNU `.debug_macro` extension.
* UpdateTestChecks was modified to match most uses of temporary named values
in the IR via regular expressions.
* BranchProbabilityInfo's static heuristics for integer comparisons were
improved, matching GCC's. [385c9d6](https://reviews.llvm.org/rG385c9d673f2).
* ORC gained a JITLink-compatible remote memory-manager.
* The tablegen asm matcher backend will now allow mnemonics with uppercase
letters to be matched. [3cf7efe](https://reviews.llvm.org/rG3cf7efec986).
## Clang commits
* clang-tidy's modernize-user-trailing-return-type gained support for C++20
concepts and decltype. (https://reviews.llvm.org/rG345053390ac).
* Support was added for `-fno-eliminate-unused-debug-types`.
* Clang will now default to using /usr/bin/ld on Solaris.
## Other project commits
* An OpenACC MLIR dialect was introduced.
* LLVM's libc gained `strtok` and `strtok_r` implementations.
* std::visit benchmarks were added to libcxx and its implementation was
* lld-macho continues development with support for dynamic linking of
thread-locals, `-force_load`, and other features.
* MLIR's pattern rewrite infrastructure was documented.
* A libomptarget host plugin for amdgpu was added.
More information about the llvm-dev