[llvm-dev] [RFC] Machine Function Splitter - Split out cold blocks from machine functions using profile data

Snehasish Kumar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 14 16:25:14 PDT 2020

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 2:22 PM Vedant Kumar <vedant_kumar at apple.com> wrote:

> Hi Snehasish,
>
> Thanks for sharing this great write-up.
>
> In past experiments, I found that splitting at the IR level (vs. at the
> codegen level) has a few drawbacks. You've discussed these, but just to
> recap:
>
> - IR-level splitting is necessarily more conservative. This is to avoid
> inadvertently increasing code size in the original function due to the cost
> of materializing inputs/outputs to the cold callee (you refer to this as
> 'residue'). (As Aditya pointed out, some of the work re: splitting penalty
> hasn't been upstreamed yet -- I'll try to dust this off.)
> - It cannot split out @eh.typeid.for intrinsics, a common feature in
> exception handling code (llvm.org/PR39545).
> - It must be run very late in the pipeline. Splitting either before
> inlining, or shortly after, appears to regress performance across spec
> variants (with/without pgo, see D58258).
>
> It's exciting to see this work, as it can side-step the first two issues.
> I'm not sure whether this is on your radar, but we do see some benefit from
> having the machine outliner run after IR-level splitting. I have not done a
> study of how this compares with partial inlining + late splitting, that
> could be interesting future work.

That's an interesting idea. Can you share more details about the benefit -
is this a performance improvement you observe or better code size? Also
what benchmarks was this observed on?

> I haven't kept up to date on the work done to support basic block sections
> in debug info. I'll note that it was a challenge to fix up debug info after
> IR-level splitting (ultimately this was handled in D72795). I'm not sure
> whether any of that is transferable, but feel free to cc me on reviews if
> you think it is.

We do have support for debug info in basic block sections (added in
https://reviews.llvm.org/D78851). As we test more applications we are
fixing up issues (eg. https://reviews.llvm.org/D85085). Thanks for the
offer and we will ping you if appropriate.