[llvm-dev] Intel AMX programming model discussion.

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 14 10:17:11 PDT 2020

On 8/14/20 6:27 AM, Luo, Yuanke via llvm-dev wrote:

> [...]
> @buf2, i64 0, i64 0), i64 32) #3
>
> 29   br label %if.end
>
> 30
>
> 31 if.end:                                           ; preds =
> %if.else, %if.then
>
> 32   %a.sroa.1186.0 = phi <256 x i32> [ %3, %if.else ], [ %0, %if.then ]
>
> 33   %b.sroa.1068.0 = phi <256 x i32> [ %4, %if.else ], [ %1, %if.then ]
>
> 34   %c.sroa.1149.0 = phi <256 x i32> [ %5, %if.else ], [ %2, %if.then ]
>
> 35   %6 = tail call <256 x i32> @llvm.x86.tdpbssd(i16 %row, i16
> %conv.i31, i16 %conv.i31, <256 x i32> %c.sroa.1149.0, <256 x i32>
> %a.sroa.1186.0, <256 x i32> %b.sroa.1068.0) #3
>
> 36   tail call void @llvm.x86.tilestored64(i16 %row, i16 %conv.i31,
> i8* getelementptr inbounds ([1024 x i8], [1024 x i8]* @buf, i64 0, i64
> 0), i64 32, <256 x i32> %6) #3
>
> 37   ret void
>
> 38 }
>
> 6.Shape propagation
>
> When in -O0 build, some general load/store for tile vector is
> generated by front-end. We need to root from AMX intrinsics to
> propagate the shape information to the virtual tile register. If the
> an AMX intrinsic use the result of load instruction, the shape is
> propagated to the load and the load is transformed to tile load
> intrinsic. If the store instruction uses any result of AMX intrinsic,
> the shape is propagated to store instruction and the store is
> transformed to tile store intrinsic
>
> 7.Machine IR
>
> Since the AMX intrinsics take the row and column as the input
> parameters, we can create a pseudo instruction corresponding to it.
> The AMX intrinsics are lowered to the pseudo AMX instruction which has
> extra row and column operands corresponding to AMX intrinsic. The real
> AMX instructions don’t need the row and column operands. The row and
> column information should be configured by ldtilecfg before executing
> any AMX instruction.
>
> 8.Register allocation
>
> AMX register is special. It needs to be configured before use and the
> config instruction is expensive. To avoid unnecessary tile configure,
> we collect the tile shape information as much as possible and combine
> them into one ldtilecfg instruction. The ldtilecfg instruction should
> dominate any AMX instruction that access tile register. On the other
> side, the ldtilecfg should post-dominated the instruction that define
> the tile shape. For tile register spill, it should avoid re-config due
> to the different tile shape, the spilled register should be reloaded
> to the register that share the same tile shape. Since tile register
> allocation is special and it may allocate general virtual register to
> configure tile register, we can add a sperate pass to do it before
> general register allocation pass. After register allocation, the tile
> shape information is not needed anymore, so we can transform the
> pseudo AMX instruction to real AMX instruction by removing the row and

This seems complicated.

Reading through the documentation, there appears to be a single global
tile config for all tile registers at any time.

Why not simply model this tile config as a designated special register
and the tile instructions as having an implicit use of this register?
That would seem to ensure that the register allocator has all the
constraints needed.  You'd need to teach it how to spill the special
registers with the appropriate instructions, but that seems a lot more
straight forward?