[llvm-dev] [Debuginfo][DWARF][LLD] Remove obsolete debug info in lld.

Alexey Lapshin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 14 09:50:02 PDT 2020

On 10.08.2020 20:34, David Blaikie wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 5:15 AM Alexey Lapshin <avl.lapshin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jonas,
>>
>> Thank you for the comments, please find my answers below...
>>
>> On 06.08.2020 20:39, Jonas Devlieghere wrote:
>>
>> Hi Alexey,
>>
>> I should've looked at this earlier. I went through the thread again and I've
>> made some comments, mostly from the dsymutil point of view.
>>
>>> Current DWARFEmitter/DWARFStreamer has an implementation for DWARF
>>> generation, which does not support DWARF5(only debug_names table). At the
>>> same time, there already exists code in CodeGen/AsmPrinter/DwarfDebug.h,
>>> which implements most of DWARF5. It seems that DWARFEmitter/DWARFStreamer
>>> should be rewritten using DwarfDebug/DwarfFile. Though I am not sure
>>> whether it would be easy to re-use DwarfDebug/DwarfFile. It would probably
>>> be necessary to separate some intermediate level of DwarfDebug/DwarfFile.
>> These classes serve very different purposes. Last time I looked at them there
>> was very little overlap in functionality. In the compiler we're mostly
>> concerned with generating the DWARF, while in dsymutil we try to copy
>> everything we don't need to parse, and fix up what we have to. I don't want
>> to say it's not possible, but I think supporting DWARF5 in those classes is
>> going to be a lot less work than trying to reuse the CodeGen variants.
>>
>> I agree, in it`s current state it would be less work to write separate implementation
>> than reusing CodeGen variants. The bad thing is that in such a case there is a lot of
>> code duplication:
>>
>> DwarfStreamer::emitUnitRangesEntries
>> DwarfDebug::emitDebugARanges
>> EmitGenDwarfAranges
>> DWARFYAML::emitDebugAranges
> Probably some opportunities to share some code, even if not the whole
> generator - might be best to refactor those opportunistically, rather
> than a wholesale "change DWARFLinker to use (all) of
> lib/CodeGen/AsmPrinter/Dwarf*". Sort of like the approach that's been
> taken with lldb's use of libDebugInfoDWARF - picking particular
> features that have high overlap and refactoring them to be reusable
> between the two different use cases.
One of the problem which complicates such a refactoring is that DWARF
generation classes are closely coupled with AsmPrinter:

llvm/CodeGen/DIE.h

class DIE* {
   void emitValue(const AsmPrinter *Asm, dwarf::Form Form) const;
   unsigned SizeOf(const AsmPrinter *AP, dwarf::Form Form) const;
}

Having access to all of AsmPrinter public data members
complicates DWARF generation:

void DIEInlineString::emitValue(const AsmPrinter *AP, dwarf::Form Form)
const {
   if (Form == dwarf::DW_FORM_string) {
     AP->OutStreamer->emitBytes(S);
     AP->emitInt8(0);
     return;
   }
}

It would be good to do something similar to https://reviews.llvm.org/D76293.
I.e. avoid AsmPrinter dependence using an abstract interface
(llvm/DebugInfo/DWARF/DWARFDebugSection.h):

class DIE* {
   void emitValue(DwarfDebugSection *Dwarf, dwarf::Form Form) const;
   unsigned SizeOf(const DwarfDebugSection *Dwarf, dwarf::Form Form) const;
}

Such separation, could f.e. allow to implement
AsmPrinter::emitDwarfDIE(const DIE &Die)
in some general place(libDebugInfoDWARF) and then be reused by others
(without necessity to link/use AsmPrinter).

https://reviews.llvm.org/D76293 was though to be more general.
But we could probably start from that smaller change:
avoid dependence of DIE* classes on AsmPrinter.

Alexey.