[llvm-dev] Ninja behavior that befuddles me

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 11 08:37:40 PDT 2020

This morning I did a build with Ninja, which mysteriously decided to rebuild the entire system (something about a deps stamp being corrupted). When it was done, I had a new llvm-tblgen.exe, but all the target .inc files were old. Hmm. So I touched one of the TableGen source files and did another build. Again, a new llvm-tblgen.exe but no new .inc files. I do, however, have a new .inc.d file corresponding to each .inc file.

I notice that those .inc.d files do not list llvm-tblgen.exe as a dependency. Is that why the .inc files aren't rebuilt? If so, what is the trick?

Windfall               Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
   Software            978 369-0839
                             www.windfall.com
My life has been filled with calamities,
some of which actually happened.
---Mark Twain

Guga 'mzimba, sala 'nhliziyo